Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Welcome to 2012

Well, 2012 has started off decently.  My NYE was...interesting.  Went to dinner with my BFFD, her husband and several people from their church's community group.  Then...hung out for an hour or so with an "old friend".  That was definitely a very pleasant surprise.  Perhaps this "old friend" will warrant their own post sometime in the future...stay tuned.

During this visit I managed to consume an entire bottle of chocolate wine.  Word of advice...please do not attempt to do this yourself, especially on top of a heavy Mexican dinner.  By the time I got to my BFFD's house for some games and more drinks, I felt like I was going to either puke or explode.  I sat outside in my car in front of her house waiting for the nausea to pass.  After about 30 minutes and actually falling asleep in the car, I decided I should just head home.  Didn't really feel very social after my visit with the old friend either.  I kind of wanted to savor it by myself and not let anything else get in the way of my thoughts...

Went home and collapsed in bed and was sound asleep (passed out?) by 11:15.  Happy New Year to me.  Needless to say, 2012 happened even though I technically missed it.

Since then I've had a sleepover with both kids at BFFD's house.  We ate artichoke dip, drank wine and watched "Bridesmaids" after the kids went to bed.  Believe it or not, we had the kids to bed by 9:00 and they finally stopped the talking and giggling around 11:20!  Amazing what two five year olds and two three year olds can talk about for so long!

Went back to work today.  I was actually really looking forward to it.  I love my kids, but it was getting really exhausting having to pretend to be the "happy family" 24/7.  Plus, STBX did A LOT of hanging with friends, etc... and I did not get that much time away.  I actually got no real time "away".  I saw my BFFD several times over break, which was AWESOME!  But, we always had kids around when we did get together.  Not really my ideal.  I really do love my class too.  They're great kids who like to have a lot of fun, but also are really serious about their work when the time comes.  They're a class of REAL readers too.  I just love, love, love that!  We can talk about books together for an eternity.  They get excited to share their favorites and take notes of titles they want to read when their friends are talking about books.  I think they'd honestly read for an entire day if I let them!  Hmmmmmm...that's not a bad idea.  Might have to toss around the idea of a "read-in" or something to wrap up the semester here in a few weeks.

Well, I think  I need to get to bed.  While I was glad to get back to work, I was NOT glad that the alarm went off at 5:45.  I could do without that.  Plus, I'm curious what my dreams may bring tonight.  Lots on my mind...especially my old friend.

Sweet dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment